On Friday, Kerala’s government warned people to be cautious about Norovirus. The virus causes nausea and vomiting.
Veena George, Kerala’s Health Minister, issued guidelines on Friday to help people be more vigilant about a possible animal-borne illness transmitted by contaminated water or food.
Two weeks ago, 13 students from Pookode in Wayanad were infected with Noroviru, The Health Minister directed to increase preventive activities as well as to raise awareness about the condition.
The order was also sent to the district, asking people for their safety. George headed a meeting at the Kerala health ministry today to evaluate the situation in Wayanad.
Although things are under control now and no more spread has been reported, health officials said they are currently preparing a data bank for students at the college of veterinary science.
While there are no immediate concerns, everyone should be aware. There are activities such as super chlorination. “It is important to ensure that drinking water sources are clean,” she stated.
The Veterinary College authorities stated that the infection was first discovered by students in hostels located outside of the campus.
The health authorities collected samples quickly and sent them to NIV Alappuzha for testing.
Norovirus viruses are a group which causes gastrointestinal disease. The virus causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea, and inflammation of the stomach lining and intestines. While it doesn’t affect people who are healthy, norovirus can have serious consequences for those who are young, old, or with other health conditions.